Friday, May 7, 2010

Dear Grandma

This week marks the year anniversary of my Grandma being "Promoted to Glory." So much has happened in the past year - both good and bad - in a way it seems hard to believe it's been a year already, but in another way it seems like a lifetime ago. I thought it would be fitting to post the letter I wrote to her for her memorial service last year. I really miss her, but know I will see her again someday:)

May 2009

Dear Grandma,

We love you and we all miss you so much already. I struggled with how to begin this tribute and then it occurred to me…I needed to just write you a letter and thank you for everything you did for us and everything we learned from you as your grandchildren.

Thank you for showing us love and the importance of family.

Thank you for being such a strong woman, and raising your daughters to be such strong women, so they could raise us to be strong individuals.

Thank you for making the most fabulous marionberry pie, raspberry jam, and creamed onions that anyone could ever make. No matter how hard we will try, we know that our versions will pale in comparison.

Thank you for taking care of us on days that we were home sick from school and for bringing things over to share with us on those days to get our minds off feeling so bad.

Thank you for Saturday hamburger night.

Thank you for teaching us that everything and anything could be fixed with the help of the tattered, little red screwdriver kept in the kitchen drawer…and I mean anything.

Thank you for all of the music programs, graduations, birthday parties and other events you attended for every single one of us.

Thank you for all the years we attended the “Ladies and Lassies” brunch together for Mother’s Day at Temple. Mother’s Day is definitely going to be different this year.

Thank you for always having homemade cookies and for always giving us a baggie of them for the long ride home from Black Butte.

Speaking of Black Butte, thank you for teaching us patience by serving us just one pancake at a time for breakfast.

Thank you for teaching us the ABC’s by way of the spice wallpaper in the kitchen…”C” is for Coriander, Cumin, Celery Salt…

Thank you for having us over for sleepovers when we were kids and waking us up by saying “well don’t YOU have a good in America” if we slept in late.

Thank you for always walking us out when we’d leave your house. Whether it was walking us to our car and waving until we were no longer in sight…or later on, walking us to the elevator in your apartment. That made an impression on me. I loved you so much for that.

Thank you for our late-night phone conversations after I was an adult. If I felt like talking to someone at 11:00 at night, I always knew you would be up to answer the call.

Thank you for teaching us to love the Lord and to look to Him for strength. I am especially thankful for that this week as we all look to Him for peace.

I know I speak for all of the grandkids when I say I feel so blessed to have known you for my whole life. My life was better because of you, because of the love you gave us and for the lessons you taught us. Thank you, for showing us we had “a good in America”…

Love, Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Let me know you stopped by!